I am so excited to share that I have been nominated for the 2017 Liebster Award by the amazing Kulani & Christian of A Couple On A Budget! The Liebster Awards started back in 2011 and are meant to help others discover smaller blogs and promote all the incredible things these bloggers are doing. I am honored to have been chosen and truly appreciate the love from these two incredible globe-conquering individuals.
If you don’t already follow A Couple On A Budget, I highly suggest you do so right away! This incredible duo travels side by side to the most breathtaking destinations around the world. Similarly to Yoni and myself, they also got married in the fall – though they’re one year ahead of us (Happy Anniversary guys!), share a serious passion for travel and are currently calling the United States their home base. Their most recent trips include exploring Peru, Iceland and Croatia (you absolutely have to checkout their unbelievable journey throughout Peru). As part of my nomination, Kulani & Christian asked me to answer these 10 random questions, which I had a lot of fun with. I’m so excited to share with you what I’ve shared with them!
If you could only eat one cuisine for the rest of your life what would it be and why?
This would definitely be Asian food. Though the cultures and signature cuisines are so different, I could hands-down shamelessly eat any of these every day for the rest of my life. Whether it’s sushi, pad Thai, teriyaki, fried rice, egg drop soup or tuna tartar, I literally can never say no to any of them. (It used to be Italian food until I spent two weeks in Italy and actually gave this “eat one cuisine only” a try by eating nothing but pizza and pasta for every meal! It’s safe to say I wouldn’t be able to handle that kind of carb overload for the rest of my life.)
What was the most exhilarating thing you’ve ever done?
This is an easy one. Swimming with sharks in open waters in Bora Bora. I conquered my fears of both deep ocean waters and sharks freely swimming around me simultaneously.
What inspired you to start blogging?
I have always had this innate passion for writing and traveling. I do have a full-time hospitality marketing job and even though my time is so limited, I knew I wanted to find a way to share my adventures with the world. In combining these two passions, blogging was the just the natural progression. Even though my audience may be small, I am proud of the strong community I’ve built around Love ‘N’ Luggage.
What’s your favorite book you’ve read or movie you’ve seen so far this year and why?
If you don’t already know, I absolutely love reading. So far this year, I have read 17 books, with a goal of reaching 20 by the end of 2017. Though I’ve read a lot of great books, I’d have to say my favorite was Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult. If you’ve never read any of her books, I would recommend buying one for your next trip. The storyline for Small Great Things is rooted in real world issues on racism and our reactions to others’ cultures within the perspective of how we view what’s right and wrong ourselves. Jodi Picoult tackles and eludes to real world issues in the majority of her novels, through the lens of fictitious stories that we don’t already have pre-conceived notions about.
Would you rather take a First Class flight or the rough scenic route?
This was a tough one for me as I honestly enjoy both! I would say it depends on the travel time, but really, who doesn’t love their glass of champagne, lie-flat bed and lotion from the toiletries kit on a long haul flight?!
What’s your next destination going to be and why?
Our next destination is to Vienna and Italy to spend time exploring it’s incredible charm and scrumptious cuisine. We’ll be ringing in the New Year in Pugglia!
What advice would you give to starting bloggers?
Be genuine, follow your passion and don’t worry about the numbers. Blog because you love sharing your stories with the world and the success will come.
Name one thing to avoid when traveling.
For me, it’s overpacking. If you overpack on the way there, not only will you definitely have to pay for your luggage on the way back, but you’ll be less inclined to purchase any type of souvenirs or keepsakes for fear of this extra charge. Try and leave at least eight to ten pounds available in your checked baggage (and some space in your carryon as well). This way, you won’t have the regret of, “I wish I bought that souvenir when I was there – I’ll never go back to that destination again.”
Name one thing to avoid when blogging.
Avoid copying anyone else’s style. Though you can certainly draw inspiration from your favorite bloggers, it’s important to establish yourself in a unique way. Give readers a reason to use you as their go-to resource over anyone else because of your unique perspective and writing style.
If you could have dinner with anyone in the world right now, who’s alive, who would it be?
I would love to have dinner with Sheryl Sandberg, Facebook’s Chief Operating Officer and founder of the Lean In movement. After graduating college, my mother bought me her book, Lean In, and it has been an inspiration in terms of my career and perception of my future with work, family and relationships.
While there are quite a few blogs I enjoy, I wanted to call out one in particular that I really enjoy reading. It’s called Flamingo Around, by the beautiful Ytzi. I love her travel advice on specific destinations and general travel. I especially love her section of interviews where she takes time to learn and share the stories of other influential travel bloggers. She writes posts in English and Spanish to appeal to a wide audience, as she was born and raised in Mexico City. Plus, her Instagram feed and photography skills are out of this world!
I’d now like to pay the 2017 Liebster Award forward by nominating the following blogs. These blogs, and the bloggers behind them, are absolutely incredible, and I highly recommend you take sometime to explore and get to know them!
Love ‘N’ Luggage’s nominees for the 2017 Liebster Awards are:
- Flamingo Around: Ytzi’s blog is full of travel advice in both English and Spanish, as well as inspiring interviews with other influential travel bloggers.
- Roving Jo: Joella, better known as Jo, is truly a superwoman, juggling her corporate job, two kids, two dogs, husband and still finding time to squeeze in her travels wherever possible. Her blog content is informative and inspiring, and her recent posts about Scotland made me want to pack a bag and board the next plane.
- LE Travels: LE Travels is a fantastic blog all about the adventures of wife and husband duo, Lauryn and Eric. Lauryn shares amazing advice and beautiful photos of all of their trips together (her packing advice has definitely saved me a lot of stress). Don’t miss out on the detailed day-by-day posts on their recent three-week Euro Trip!
- Trips n Trip Ups: What I love most about this blog is that it gives readers a deeper perspective on traveling. Arch really gets into the meaning and reasons behind why she travels and the personal growth it has given her and can in turn, give to others.
- Sometimes Home: Mikkel of Sometimes Home has traveled to an extensive list of destinations on almost every continent in the world. She is a professional photographer, so I especially love her photography advice section, where she gives her tips on taking the perfect photos while traveling.
For those I’ve nominated, here are your 10 questions. Ready, set, go!
- If you can take someone with you in your travels, who would it be?
- What/Who inspires you to travel this world?
- What is the best memory that you have while travelling?
- If you could give someone $1,000,000 who would you give it to?
- How has traveling changed your life?
- Would you rather explore the deep ocean or outer space?
- What’s your favorite part about being a blogger?
- What words of wisdom can you share with other bloggers?
- If you could move anywhere in the world tomorrow, where would you go and why?
- What’s the most adventurous thing you’ve ever done while traveling?
A big thank you again to Kulani and Christian of A Couple On A Budget, and congratulations to all the blogs who have been nominated! Are there any blogs you love to follow? Share your favorites in the comments below!